Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Shift work no longer horrific

After returning to work from maternity leave, I started on swing shift. I was surprised that of all times in my career this was when the opportunity arose. But I was not going to pass it up. I really haven’t been a fan of this horrible day/night 12 hour flip flop until last week.  Last week I worked 10 hours/days for 5 days in a row. I would leave the house around 6:15am and get home around 4:00.  By the time I got home and cleaned a little it was time to put the babies to sleep. I felt like I didn’t have any time at all with them. It was so hard on me. I quickly realized that shift work was an actual blessing.  This week I was home with the babies all day Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, I spent most of the morning with them before taking a nap in preparation for night shift. I worked Wednesday and Thursday night and then off the weekend. Until now I didn’t realize that this horrific shift work actually allows me to spend more time with the babies.  The only negative point is that Jason and I have less time together but at this point in our life we can handle that.  We have been trying to have alone time/date night every other week even if we have to pay for a baby sitter. So far that is working out great. Everything just seems to be working out perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment